18 September 2008

It's Cold Outside



This is just a quick design post about a coat I'm designing for myself. I will put up photos as I start making but I thought I'd start with my initial designs and fabric swatches. I bought this wool last year from the Cloth House on Berwick Street (my favourite fabric shop) and have been dying to make a winter coat from it and have FINALLY finished the design. It's silly its taken this long but I wanted to make it really nice!


This is the design. Because the file is so large, i had to scale it down a lot upload it, but it's fairly simple in design. It has a wide funnel neck with a hood, a fitted top half and slight flare from the wist seam. The bust darts have been put into princess seams and the side pockets are slightly baggy and away from the main fabric. There are some small bits of detail stitching too. I will try and convert the image to a better size so the detail can be seen a bit better.



This is one of the buttons as a vector. I doubt these buttons exist but I thought they were nice. They are old military buttons which I put my name onto, instead of initials.



I also put the fabric I bought, into vectors, to put onto the technical flat. I wanted to see how easy plaid was to create on illustrator, having never done it before. It was surprisingly easy, the hardest part is getting all the lines on the same level as the are all separate shapes.

I will update as I do more work.
All images subject to copyright.

No comments: