10 September 2008

The Owl and the Pusseycat Went to Sea...



We all know the fantastic poem "The Owl and the Pusseycat" by Edward Lear, but for those that don't here it is:

The Owl and the Pussycat went to sea
In a beautiful pea-green boat,

Print design using "Pea Green Boat"

They took some honey, and plenty of money,
Wrapped up in a five pound note.

Print design using "Honey and Money"

The Owl looked up to the stars above,
And sang to a small guitar,
"O lovely Pussy! O Pussy, my love,
What a beautiful Pussy you are, you are, you are,
What a beautiful Pussy you are."
Pussy said to the Owl "You elegant fowl, 
How charmingly sweet you sing.
O let us be married, too long we have tarried;
But what shall we do for a ring?"
They sailed away, for a year and a day,
To the land where the Bong-tree grows,
And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood
With a ring at the end of his nose, his nose, his nose,
With a ring at the end of his nose.
"Dear Pig, are you willing to sell for one shilling your ring?"
 Said the Piggy, "I will"
So they took it away, and were married next day
By the Turkey who lives on the hill.
They dined on mince, and slices of quince,

Print design using "slices of quince"

Which they ate with a runcible spoon.

Print design using "Quince and runcible spoon"

And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand.
They danced by the light of the moon, the moon, the moon,
They danced by the light of the moon.

Basically, I wanted to illustrate this poem through print. I have used imagery referred to within the poem such as the quince, runcible spoon, pea green boat, and obviously the owl and the pusseycat. This is still a work in progress so there will be many more prints when everything is done, but I thought I should put up my current work. I have learnt a couple of things while illustrating this poem. I learnt what a Quince looked like, that a Bong tree does actually exist and that a Runcible Spoon is, essentially, a Spork. I will add more images as I complete prints.

1 comment:

Patrick Baker said...

I love this. The pea green boat print would make amazing wallpaper! x