08 September 2008

Mon Oncle

This is the industry project my course did in conjunction with the co-designer of Peter Jensen. Basically we had to choose a muse to base our designs around that would give us unusual ideas and shapes. I used Jacques Tati as my muse and chose to focus on mass production and how it shaped 1950s France.


France is a country filled with exciting tradition and whimsical ideals, that the French people, and indeed the rest of the world, idealise and love. Tati's films all have very simple humour, largely based on physical acting from Tati himself who plays a happy and old fashioned character called Monsieur Hulot. The films revolve around Hulot's way of thinking, battling with the new technologies that invaded France in the 50s and 60s. I wanted to capture this contrast of 'old vs new'.


The above are three of my illustrations

These illustrations are markerpen and fineliner. My designs encorporate the 'too-short' trousers that Hulot wore in most of his films, accessorized with stripe socks, pipe and umbrella, also synonomous with Tati. The contrast of old and new fits in with the use of crisp suit jacket shapes mixed with the hand done screen prints of robots which I designed.

Photograph of my final screen-print


This image is a scan of a potato print I did as a trial for my screen print. In some respects I think this is more successful in that it looks much more unique and rustic. It was also very fun to do! I have since encorporated a lot of potato printing into my prints as I have found they make good background textures when used in Illustrator.

"Umm... long live the potato.... ?"

All images subject to copyright

No comments: